Tradition and history
The oldest mention from 1389
The oldest mention of the Krimmler Tauernhaus dates from 1389. But the building of this resting place on the path over the Krimml Tauern used from time immemorial for regional transport has probably been there for substantially longer. This difficult path over the Krimml Tauern, serving as a north-south connection over the Alps, was used by travelling artisans and farmers and also by drivers who, in the summer months, imported wine and brandy from the south on their pack animals and would stop here to trade salt in exchange.
In the 16th century
Because of relatively heavy traffic at that time, the Tauern path was further extended by the state authorities in the 16th century. The owners of the Tauernhaus were obliged to supervise the Tauern Path and look after travellers, in exchange for which they received a corn allowance from the sovereign authorities.
In the 19th century the use of pack animals declined to a great extent and it became a bit quieter around the Tauernhaus. But this changed with the advent of mountain tourism, which brought walkers with a passion for the mountains to the Krimmler Tauernhaus, wanting to admire the beauty of the Krimml Waterfalls and the Krimml Achen Valley.
When in 1906 the Tauernhaus passed into the hands of Simon Geisler, the great-grandfather of the present owner, a new era began for the “old Tavern in the Achen”.
Simon Geisler and his progeny
When Simon Geisler, the great-grandfather of Friedl Geisler, the present landlord, acquired the Tauernhaus in 1906, he worked with enormous energy to transform it into a magnificent inn. An additional upper storey offered overnight guests more room, and a meticulous conversion on the ground floor, taking pains to leave the 600 year old inn untouched, transformed the “old tavern” (“alte Taferne”) into a contemporary inn and mountain shelter. At the end of the First World War Simon Geisler modernised the Tauernhaus by building a small power station and installing overhead cables by means of which he as a National Assembly member could keep in telephone contact with the outside world at all times.
After the Second World War, when some 5,000 persecuted Jews from Eastern Europe illegally crossed the Krimml Tauern and Austria’s border with Italy to get to the Land of Israel, it was the landlady Lisl Geisler who devotedly took care of the refugees, providing them with what they desperately needed - a meal and a warm room for the night.
Until 1999 the inn was run by Adolf and Franziska Geisler. In their almost 40-year period as landlord and landlady of the Krimmler Tauernhaus, they constantly modernised and improved the Krimmler Tauernhaus and during this time a road was also built giving better access to the Tauernhaus and the pastures of the Krimml Achen Valley. Since the establishment of the National Park Hohe Tauern in 1984, the Krimmler Tauernhaus is the only farm in the national park.
In 1999 Friedl and Gundi Geisler took over the inn and farm and, with foresight and discretion, modernised the Tauernhaus with careful regard to the very individual landscape and conservation of nature and the environment. The Tauernhaus itself has been extended with great sensitivity, combining contemporary comfort with the functional character of a mountain shelter. Friedl and Gundi Geisler place particular emphasis on an extensive cuisine with regional specialities, for which to a great extent they use milk and meat produce from their own farm.
With pride and a strong sense of tradition they maintain the Krimmler Tauernhaus as a jewel steeped in the history of the Krimml Achen Valley and have an ever open door for guests, mountain walkers, mountain climbers and ski tourers in both summer and winter, welcoming them with genuine hospitality.
Simon Geisler´s Tauernhaus in 1913
The table of owner´s of the Krimmler Tauernhauses
- 1389 Albert(us) Martin(us)
- 1437 Georg Selhofer
- Hans Tuesl
- Christina Tuesl mit Ehemann Andreas
- 1498 Peter Wiser
- Christofforus Wiser
- Georg(ius) Klainartzpacher
- 1537 Michl Winkler
- 1556 Catharina Winkler mit Ehemann Veit Geyßler
- 1606 Matheus Geyßler
- 1620 Adam Geisler mit Ehefrau Maria Waldnerin
- 1661 Ruepp Geißler mit Ehefrau Gertraud Waldnerin
- 1675 Jakob Geisler, sein Bruder; Die Familie Geisler besaß 1655 auch das Gut Mühlegg und verkaufte 1677 ihren Besitz an Thomas Hollaus.
- 1677 Thomas Hollaus
- 1686 Leonhard Hollaus, er verkaufte 1712 das Mühlegglehen und die Mühleggalm.
- 1717 Hans Hollaus
- 1768 Maria Hollaus mit 1. Ehemann Lorenz Lerch
- 1792 Maria Hollaus mit 2. Ehemann Vinzenz Hofer
- 1817 Vinzenz Hofer I.
- 1852 Vinzenz Hofer II.
- 1888 Vinzenz Hofer III.
- 1906 Bei der Anlegung des Grundbuches wurde aus Teilen des Diesselhofes der neue Grundbuchskörper Krimmler Tauernhaus in Oberkrimml gebildet.
Simon Geisler erwarb das Tauernhaus am 13. Jänner 1906.
- 1931 Friedrich Geisler, Sohn des Simon und der Theresia Geisler, und seine Frau Elisabeth, geb. Unterwurzacher.
- 1943 Elisabeth Geisler - Friedrich Geisler verunglückte am 23.3. 1943 tödlich. Elisabeth Geisler heiratete 1946 den Skilehrer Rupert Scharfetter.
- 1961 übernahm Adolf Geisler, Sohn von Friedrich und Elisabeth Geisler, das Tauernhaus. Tauernhauswirtin war Franziska Geisler, geb. Steiner.
- 1999 Friedl Geisler, Sohn von Adolf und Franziska, und Gundi Geisler, geb. Heim.